For certain kinds of data it would be useful to continuously stream data
from server to client (or vice-versa).  This can be represented as an Avro
array response or request where each array element triggers a callback at
the receiving end.  This likely requires an extension to the avro spec, but
is much more capable than a polling solution.  It is related to Comet in the
sense that the RPC request is long lived, but is effectively a sequence of
smaller inverse RPCs.  Poling in general has built-in race conditions for
many types of information exchange and should be avoided whenever such race
conditions exist.

For streaming large volumes of data, this would be much more efficient than
an individual RPC per item.  For example, if the RPC is "I need to know
every state change in X" polling is not an option, but streaming is.  If the
requirement is "I need to know when the next state change occurs, but do not
need to know all changes" polling is OK, and streaming may send too much
data.