What version of Avro are you using?

You may want to try Avro 1.6.3 + Jackson 1.8.8.

This is related, but is not your exact problem.

You are likely pulling in some other version of jackson somehow.  You may
want to use 'mvn dependency:tree' on your project to see where all the
dependencies are coming from.  That may help identify the culprit.

-Scott