Avro can serialize in JSON, however most users use the compact binary
serialization for performance and data storage reasons (JSON is typically
10x larger), and use the JSON format for debugging or export to other
systems.

I do not know if anyone is planning work on the JSON encoding in combination
with Avro RPC,  the best place to find out is the dev mailing list and JIRA
tickets.