Hi Arvind,

The choice of specific vs. generic records should be orthogonal to schema
evolution — i.e. from a schema evolution point of view it doesn't matter
whether you're using the specific or the generic API. The same applies to
storage space — the binary encoding is exactly the same, whichever API you
use. I don't know about the performance difference; you're probably best
off benchmarking your use case for yourself if it's critical.

The question of when to re-generate specific records from the schemas
depends on what restrictions you impose on schema evolution. For example,
if the writer adds a field to a record, but the reader doesn't need that
field, the reader can happily continue using code generated from the old
schema, and the new field will be ignored. But if you want to add a symbol
to an enum, or a branch to a union type, the reader needs to be on the new
schema before it receives data written using the new enum symbol/union
branch, otherwise you'll get a runtime exception on decoding.

The rules for what is and what isn't compatible in schema evolution make
most sense if you consider how the data is actually encoded. This post of
mine attempts to explain it:
http://martin.kleppmann.com/2012/12/05/schema-evolution-in-avro-protocol-buffers-thrift.html

Hope that helps,
Martin