It sounds like you'd like to reference schemas in other files?  If so,
you can do this with Maven using the import configuration, added in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO-1188.  Also the
command-line compiler will process files in order, with types defined
earlier on the command line available in those defined later.  Avro
IDL also has an import command that permits inclusion of types from
.avsc or IDL files.

Doug