I see a few separate issues.

First, Avro doesn't currently handle circular data structures.  It
does handle circular schemas, permitting recursive type definitions,
but instances of types are presumed to be non circular.  This has been
discussed previously at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO-695.

Second, Avro's json encoding tags unions with their intended type, so
a field with type ["null","string"], given the string value "foo"
would be encoded as {"string":"foo"}.

Doug