Since I can't seem to use the custom fields in my schema from C.

I though I could just add an optional record field and only write the field
in the first record and leave the rest as null.

How would I write the "optional" record field to only the very first record.

[alan@localhost]$ avro cat --print-schema test.avro
{
    "namespace": "org.me",
    "type": "record",