> Does "velocity" here refer to the Apache Velocity template language
<https://velocity.apache.org/engine/releases/velocity-1.5/user-guide.html#velocity_template_language_vtl:_an_introduction>
?

Yes. Velocity refers to the Apache Velocity project. The best two
references I could find were the user's guide (that you've already linked)
and the developer's guide
<https://velocity.apache.org/engine/releases/velocity-1.5/developer-guide.html>
.

> Also, any idea what templates get applied by default?

That depends on the types you're relying upon. For instance, if you're
compiling a simple protocol that uses only record schemas and Avro primite
types, then Avro compiler will need the protocol.vm and the record.vm
templates.

> does anyone know if there are plans to update the avro schema
specifications to support inheritance/if this is possible?

I would guess that this is, by now, beyond the purpose for the project.
There is this JIRA issue <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO-1763>
relating to inheritance on schema generation and I think that I've already
seen another analogous issue being rejected with these terms (beyond the
scope for the project).

Hopefully, we'll hear about this topic from project's maintainers soon.