From: Aaron.Dossett [mailto:aaron.doss...@target.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 6:36 PM
To: user@avro.apache.org
Cc: 'er.dcpa...@gmail.com'
Subject: Re: Want to Add New Column in Avro Schema

If you create the external table by reference to the .avsc file (TBLPROPERTIES
( 'avro.schema.url'='hdfs://foo.avsc')) the all you have to do is update that
avsc file in a compatible way and Hive should reflect the new schema.  I've
implemented this pattern in my production system for several months now.

-Aaron