If this is bad form I apologize up front, but I thought I should make some
additional clarifications:

1. using GenericDatumWriter/Reader is not applicable for my application
2. I tried SpecificDatumWriter/Reader and got IndexRecord Exceptions
3. Changing it from byte[] to Byte[] will work but I need it to be as fast
as possible to handle processing needs so converting it to Byte[] is
something I would like to avoid.

Thanks