Hello Avro User Community,

I am reviewing the specification for Object Container Files
(http://avro.apache.org/docs/1.8.2/spec.html#Object+Container+Files) and the
available Avro libraries from Apache and Microsoft.

I am hoping the community can help clarify a question I have with respect to
Object Container files.

My question is...

Is it compliant with the specification to append objects to an Object Container
File after the header and some number of initial objects have been written and
the file closed?

The reason I ask this question is that while the specification does not
explicitly state that appending to an Object Container File is not allowed,
none of the libraries I have evaluated support doing so.  The libraries I have
looked at support creating a new Object Container File, writing the header,
some number of objects, and then closing it... but they do not support coming
back to that file at a later time and appending more objects.

Is this simply a gap in the libraries or am I missing something in the
specification that states appending to Object Container Files is prohibited?
Or is this rather against some best practice that I am not aware of, such as in
HDFS?

Cheers,
Matt