This should work according to the spec. What language and Avro library are
you using, and with what version?

Aliases are a bit tricky to use correctly. When deserializing, you may need
to indicate the writer’s schema as using oldFieldName1 and oldFieldName2,
while the reader schema uses newFieldName1 and newFieldName2. In other
words, you may need to provide both the old and new schemas to the
deserializer. This is just built in to how aliases work (
https://avro.apache.org/docs/current/spec.html#Aliases). This may be a
little abstract and unclear; it’s easier to describe in the context of a
particular language.