Thanks JB

On "thoughts":

- Cloudera 5.13 will still default to 1.6 even though a 2.2 parcel is
available (HWX provides both)
- Cloudera support for spark 2 has a list of exceptions (
https://www.cloudera.com/documentation/spark2/latest/topics/spark2_known_issues.html
)
  - I am not sure if the HBaseIO would be affected
  - I am not sure if structured streaming would have implications
  - it might stop customers from being able to run spark 2 at all due to
support agreements
- Spark 2.3 (EOY) will drop Scala 2.10 support
- IBM's now defunct distro only has 1.6
- Oozie doesn't have a spark 2 action (need to use a shell action)
- There are a lot of folks with code running on 1.3,1.4 and 1.5 still
- Spark 2.2+ requires Java 8 too, while <2.2 was J7 like Beam (not sure if
this has other implications for the cross deployment nature of Beam)

My first impressions of Beam was really favourable as it all just worked
first time on a CDH Spark 1.6 cluster.  For us it is lacking resources to
refactor legacy code which delays the 2.2 push.

With that said I think is it very reasonable to have a clear cut off in
Beam, especially if it limits progress / causes headaches in packaging,
robustness etc.  I'd recommend putting it in a 6 month timeframe which
might align with 2.3?

Hope this helps,
Tim