So I have Beam job that I want to run with Flink locally. Problem is, I get
the following error:

> java.io.IOException: Insufficient number of network buffers: required 32,
but only 24 available. The total number of network buffers is currently set
to 32768 of 32768 bytes each. You can increase this number by setting the
configuration keys 'taskmanager.network.memory.fraction',
'taskmanager.network.memory.min', and 'taskmanager.network.memory.max'.

So I create a config file with taskmanager.network.memory.max set to 5gb
and taskmanager.network.memory.fraction set to 0.2. I also set the
FLINK_CONF_DIR path to the dir with the config file (undocumented feature)
and set the --flinkMaster path to "[local]" as it seems like the default
"[auto]" ignores the config file:
https://github.com/apache/beam/blob/1e41220977d6c45d293b86f2e581daec3513c66e/runners/flink/src/main/java/org/apache/beam/runners/flink/FlinkExecutionEnvironments.java#L76-L82
.

Now, it seems like configs are loaded ok. I get the following log message
during start:

> Jan 09, 2019 10:54:43 AM
org.apache.flink.configuration.GlobalConfiguration loadYAMLResource
INFO: Loading configuration property: taskmanager.network.memory.max, 5gb

But the error at the top of the post still appears. 32768 * 32768 bytes =
1gb, which is the default value of taskmanager.network.memory.max, so it
seems like the config is ignored.

Any ideas what might cause this problem? Am I adjusting the wrong parameter
or something?