On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 3:17 PM Ismaël Mejía <ieme...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Not necessarily. This would be one way. Another way is build an SDF wrapper
> > for UnboundedSource. Probably the easier path for migration.
>
> That would be fantastic, I have heard about such wrapper multiple
> times but so far there is not any realistic proposal. I have a hard
> time to imagine how can we map in a generic way RestrictionTrackers
> into the existing Bounded/UnboundedSource, so I would love to hear
> more about the details.

For BoundedSource the restriction is the BoundedSource object itself
(which splits into multiple distinct bounded sources) with a tracker
that forwards split calls to the reader, and the body of process would
read from this reader to completion (never explicitly claiming
positions from the reader).

For unbounded sources, the restriction tracker always returns true on
try_claim, false on try_split, and the process method returns current
elements until either advance or try_claim returns false or try_split
was called at 0, and the checkpoint mark is returned as the checkpoint
residual.

Initial splitting and sizing just forwards the calls.