As everyone has pointed out there will be a small overhead added by the
abstraction but in my own experience its totally worth it.

Almost two years ago we decided to jump into the beam wagon, by first
deploying into an on-premises hadoop cluster with the Spark engine (just
because spark was already available and we didn't want to introduce a new
stack in our hadoop cluster), then we moved to a Flink cluster (due to
others reason) and few months later we moved 90% of our streaming
processing to Dataflow (in order to migrate the on-premises cluster to the
cloud), all that wouldn't have been possible without the beam abstraction.

In conclusion beam abstraction rocks, it's not perfect, but it's really
good.

Just my 2 cents.