1. Personally, I’d recommend to purge the output directory (if it’s needed, of
course) before starting your pipeline as a part of your driver program and not
in DoFn since, as Reuven mentioned before, to avoid potential side effects.
Another option is to write files into the new directory with uniq name and
then, after your pipeline has been finished, atomically rename it. Though, of
course the final solution depends on internals of your application and
environment.

Imho, FS manipulations (like this) should be a part of driver program and not a
distributed data processing pipeline where it can be quite tricky to do
reliably.

2. Yes, for sure we can’t rely on the fact that the old files will be
overwritten by new files. Even more, we need to make sure that they won’t be
overwritten to guarantee that we won’t lose them unexpectedly.