In this way, I think “Wait” PTransform should work for you but, as it was
mentioned before, it doesn’t work with PDone, only with PCollection as a
signal.

Since you already adjusted your own writer for that, it would be great to
contribute it back to Beam in the way as it was done for other IOs (for
example, JdbcIO [1] or BigtableIO [2])

In general, I think we need to have it for all IOs, at least to use with “Wait”
because this pattern it's quite often required.

[1]
https://github.com/apache/beam/blob/ab1dfa13a983d41669e70e83b11f58a83015004c/sdks/java/io/jdbc/src/main/java/org/apache/beam/sdk/io/jdbc/JdbcIO.java#L1078
[2]
https://github.com/apache/beam/blob/ab1dfa13a983d41669e70e83b11f58a83015004c/sdks/java/io/google-cloud-platform/src/main/java/org/apache/beam/sdk/io/gcp/bigtable/BigtableIO.java#L715