I'm not too worried about ACLs, I'm going to have to tunnel Cassandra through
SSL and for most deployments the data that matters will be encrypted using
fairly large key sizes.  The nodes that aren't allowed to store private keys
will probably access data through a Thrift API which will use our own
permission scheme.

On Mar 29, 2010, at 10:33 AM, Joe Stump wrote:

On Mar 29, 2010, at 11:31 AM, Matthew Stump wrote:

> Am I crazy to want to switch our server's primary data store from postgres to
> cassandra?  This is a system used by banks and governments to store crypto
> keys which absolutely can not be lost.

You might be crazy. PostgreSQL has all sorts of ACLs and other features for
locking down various portions of the system. Cassandra has none of that, that
I'm aware of.

That being said, if you're looking for fault-tolerance across data centers
Cassandra is probably a better option. Just make sure you're writing and
reading with the highest consistency level possible.

Finally, you have a really rad last name. I approve.

--Joe