I'm pretty familiar with EC2, hence the question.  I don't believe any
patches are required to do these things.  Regardless, as I noted in
that ticket, you definitely do NOT need AWS credentials to determine
your availability zone.  It is available through the metadata web
server for each instance as 'placement_availability_zone', avoiding
the need to speak the EC2 API or store credentials in the configs.