That does sound similar. It's possible that the difference I'm seeing
between ConsistencyLevel.ZERO and ConsistencyLevel.ALL is simply due
to the fact that using ALL slows down the writers enough that the GC
can keep up. I could do a test with multiple clients writing at ALL in
parallel tomorrow. If there are still no problems writing at ALL even
with extra load from additional clients, that might point to problems
in how async writes are handled vs. sync writes.

I will also do some profiling of the server processes with both ZERO
and ALL writer behaviors and report back.

RE: JVM_OPTS, I will try running with the "more sane" options (but a
larger heap) as well.

-- Ilya