While we are talking same user names, it’s the application design to help
figuring out the difference on other attributes (actually, it’s not Cassandra
related, it’s application/ domain issue):

 Let’s say there are two scenarios (let me know if there are more):

1.       The identity behind the user name actually are same. In this case,
only one is valid. this happens when one employee re-joins the company

2.       The identity behind the same user name actually are different, in this
case, both are valid. this happens when two clients to open the account, but
they happen to have the same name

For the scenario 1, it can be resolved like this:

CF1-UserNameState: Key = user name, Super Column Name: create time (time UUID)

CF2-UserAuth: key=user name, SuperColumn: password

While you are creating the second entry for the same user name (in CF1, with
new timeUUID, the password in CF2 will be overwritten, and means the previously
one has been disabled). Then it’s fine.

Well, for scenario 2, it is a little bit complex, since it depends on the
nature of your application. Let’s take an example of the Bank Account
Management system: two clients have same name (both are dop? :P):

Then, it’s the bank’s responsibility to have a way to make me and another Dop
different while me and the other Dop using the same user name Dop to log into
the system. In practice, this is resolved by giving me and others a token
generator (like what HSBC did). While logging into the system, my token
generated and his token generated are different.

Again, there are two column families required:

CF1-User: Key= User Name, Super Column Name: unique id derived from token
generated from my generator, Column Name: User UUID: (uuid)

CF2-UserAuth: Key=user uuid, superColumnName: password

Then, the application derives the unique id from token inputs, and plus the
user name, can get the user real internal uuid based on the CF-1. Then, with
CF-2 and password, it can authenticate the user uniquely.

Cheers~~~

Dop