Added to http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/MemtableSSTable:

SSTables that are obsoleted by a compaction are deleted asynchronously
when the JVM performs a GC.  You can force a GC from jconsole if
necessary but this is not necessary; Cassandra will force one itself
if it detects that it is low on space.  A compaction marker is also
added to obsolete sstables so they can be deleted on startup if the
server does not perform a GC before being restarted.

CFStoreMBean exposes sstable space used as getLiveDiskSpaceUsed (only
includes size of non-obsolete files) and getLiveDiskSpaceUsed
(includes everything).