What is changing? A more flexible schema or no need to restart (some kind of
hot-reboot)?

Mongo guys claims that Mongo's advantage is a schema-less design. Basically
you can have any data structure you want and you can change them anyway you
want. This is done in the name of "flexibility", but I am not sure this is a
good practice. People argued for years that perl is bad because it is
typeless and java is strong typed and is better. Now the java community is
developing a database like Mongo that is schema-less. How does this
complements the strong-type argument?

The less requirement is put on database schema design, the more burden is
put on the application to maintain data integrity. Why is this a good trend?
Can someone kindly explain?

Steve