I think you are correct, David. What Bill is asking for specifically
is not in the API.

Bill,
if this is a performance concern (i.e., your column values are/could
be vastly larger than your column names, and you need to query the
namespace before loading the values), then you might consider keeping
a separate column family which just contains the column names and
timestamps with empty values.