Hi, ZK uses a quorum protocol (similar but not the same as paxos) for writes, as a result it's sensitive to inter-server latency. (however reads are always local and therefore not effected) Running a cluster fully w/in a colo you can achieve 15k writes/second, with a cluster distributed across a wan the write performance will be lower. You can see some detail on in-colo performance here http://bit.ly/4B8gC7 and here http://bit.ly/4ekN8G

Regards,

Patrick