Ok, answered part of this myself.  You can stop a node, move files around on
the data disks, as long as they stay in the right keyspace directories, and
all is fine.

Now, I have a single Data.db file which is 900GB and is compacted.  The
drive its on is only 1.5TB, so it can't anticompact at all.  Is there
anything I can do?  The replication factor is 3, so one idea is to take down
the node, blow away the huge file, adjust the token, and restart the node.
At that point I'm not sure what to tell the new node or other nodes to do...
do I need to run a repair, or a cleanup, or a loadbalance, or ... what?

It would be great to be able to fix a storage quota on a per-data-directory
basis, to ensure that enough capacity is retained for anticompaction.
Default 45% quota, adjustable for the brave.

Ian