On 6/2/10 12:49 PM, Eric Halpern wrote:

We'd like to double our cluster size from 4 to 8 and increase our replication
factor from 2 to 3.

Is there any special procedure we need to follow to increase replication?
Is it sufficient to just start the new nodes with the replication factor of
3 and then reconfigure the existing nodes to the replication factor one at a
time?

http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/Operations
"
Replication factor is not really intended to be changed in a live cluster either, but increasing it may be done if you (a) use ConsistencyLevel.QUORUM or ALL (depending on your existing replication factor) to make sure that a replica that actually has the data is consulted, (b) are willing to accept downtime while anti-entropy repair runs (see below), or (c) are willing to live with some clients potentially being told no data exists if they read from the new replica location(s) until repair is done.
"

Please feel free to update this wiki page if the above information is incomplete in any way. :)

=Rob