The main change you'd commonly make is decreasing the max new gen size
on large heaps (say to 2GB) from the default of 1/3 of the heap.

IMO keeping heap dump on OOM around is a good idea in production; it
doesn't cost much (you're already screwed at the point where it starts
writing a dump, so why not) and it can be useful.

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra