> Just an update here. We're now entirely on standard IO mode, and everything
> is stable and happy. There hasn't been much of a performance hit, if at all.

Cool. Just be aware that if my speculation was correct that you're (1)
dedicating a very large portion of system memory to cassandra, but (2)
most of that is unused in the sense of being live, you are probably
going to see more disk I/O on reads than you would otherwise due to
less data fitting in cache (assuming your access pattern has some kind
of locality to make caching effective, and assuming you did not crank
up the in-JVM caching when switching to standard I/O mode).

--
/ Peter Schuller