All,
We have been working through some operations scenarios, so that we are ready to
deploy our first Cassandra cluster into production  in the coming months.
During this process our operations folks have asked us to provide a Health
Check service. I am using the word service here very liberally - really we just
need to provide a way for the folks in out NOC to know that not only is the
Cassandra process running (which they will get with their monitoring tools ),
but that it is actually alive and well. We do not have the intent of verifying
that the data is valid, just that every node in the cluster that is known to be
running is actually alive and healthy. My questions are - What does it mean for
a Cassandra node to be healthy?  What is the minimum (from an impact to the
performance of a node) things we can check to make sure that a node is not a
zombie?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew