On Mon, 2010-06-28 at 13:45 -0700, Marty Greenia wrote:
> Would it ever be useful to someday have browser clients access
> cassandra servers directly? I imagine that would be the most
> compelling scenario to have REST API for.

I think thats an interesting use case for REST.

>From what I've seen, users tend to be quite frustrated by trying to
generate and utilize thrift bindings for their particular client access
language(s) of choice.

On the other hand, everybody should know how to make HTTP requests.

I imagine that Thrift's biggest advantage over a REST+JSON approach is
simply performance.

Memcached's text protocol is *awesome* and there are a bunch of native
clients that support it. But if you want the lowest possible latency and
the most capability, you probably want to use libmemcached and take
advantage of the binary protocol.