Just a short note to add....

If you delet a key, and it has not been removed via a flush and compaction,
it will be returned as a key with no (super)column(s) from a
get_range_slices call.

Should you try to write to the same column family using the same key as a
tombstone, it will be silently ignored. Something I've now worked around,
but it did cause me a few issues to start with.

Hope it helps....

--Jools