Here are my notes on how to make schema changes in 0.6:

# Empty the commitlog with "nodetool drain."
    => NOTE while this is running, the node will not accept writes.
# Shutdown Cassandra and verify that there is no remaining data in the
commitlog.
    => HOW to verify?
# Delete the sstable files (-Data.db, -Index.db, and -Filter.db) for any CFs
removed, and rename the files for any CFs that were renamed.
# Make necessary changes to your storage-conf.xml.
# Start Cassandra back up and your edits should take effect.

Related URLs:
http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/FAQ#modify_cf_config
http://www.mail-archive.com/user@cassandra.apache.org/msg02498.html

HTH