secondary index results are always sorted by indexed column value.
rows with the same index value are sorted in token order (although
support for comparator order is planned).

sorting by a different column is not possible to do efficiently
server-side and therefore is left to the client.

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra