Also, in general, you probably want to set Xms = Xmx (regardless of the
value you eventually decide on for that).

If you set them equal, the JVM will just go ahead and allocate that amount
on startup.  If they're different, then when you grow above Xms it has to
allocate more and move a bunch of stuff around.  It may have to do this
multiple times.  Note that it does this as the worst time possible (i.e.
under heavy load, which is likely what caused you to grow past Xms in the
first place).