Wayne,
I'm calling cassandra from Python and have not seen too many 3 second reads.

Your last email with log messages in it looks like your are asking for
10,000,000 columns. How much data is this request actually transferring to the
client? The column names suggest only a few.

DEBUG [pool-1-thread-64] 2010-10-18 19:25:28,867 StorageProxy.java (line 471)
strongread reading data for SliceFromReadCommand(table='table', key='key1',
column_parent='QueryPath(columnFamilyName='fact', superColumnName='null',
columnName='null')', start='503a', finish='503a7c', reversed=false,
count=10000000) from 698@/x.x.x.6

Aaron