I don't know the details of operation of HBase, so I can't speak on that
point.  But, I do know that Facebook hired Jonathan Grey, former CTO of
Streamy, who is a huge HBase contributor. Streamy ended in Mar 2010 -
although I'm not sure when he went to work for Facebook.

He presented on HBase at the Hadoop conference in October in NYC:
http://mpouttuclarke.wordpress.com/2010/10/18/notes-from-hadoop-world-2010-nyc/

Again, I don't know the chronology (whether he was hired before the decision
to use hbase or after).  But I know that Jonathan is a fantastically smart
(and extremely nice) guy and I'm sure he could make HBase bend to his will
at any point.

Dave Viner