I've tried the keyspaces() function and got this on return:

 compass.keyspaces()
CassandraThrift::Cassandra::Client::TransportException:
CassandraThrift::Cassandra::Client::TransportException
        from
/home/compass/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2...@rails3/gems/thrift-0.2.0.4/lib/thrift/transport/socket.rb:53:in
 `rescue in open'
        from
/home/compass/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2...@rails3/gems/thrift-0.2.0.4/lib/thrift/transport/socket.rb:36:in
 `open'
        from
/home/compass/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2...@rails3/gems/thrift-0.2.0.4/lib/thrift/transport/buffered_transport.rb:37:in
 `open'
        from
/home/compass/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2...@rails3/gems/thrift_client-0.5.0/lib/thrift_client/connection/socket.rb:11:in
 `connect!'
        from
/home/compass/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2...@rails3/gems/thrift_client-0.5.0/lib/thrift_client/abstract_thrift_client.rb:82:in
 `connect!'
        from
/home/compass/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2...@rails3/gems/thrift_client-0.5.0/lib/thrift_client/abstract_thrift_client.rb:110:in
 `handled_proxy'
        from
/home/compass/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2...@rails3/gems/thrift_client-0.5.0/lib/thrift_client/abstract_thrift_client.rb:57:in
 `get_string_property'
        from
/home/compass/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2...@rails3/gems/cassandra-0.8.2/lib/cassandra/cassandra.rb:302:in
 `all_nodes'
        from
/home/compass/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2...@rails3/gems/cassandra-0.8.2/lib/cassandra/cassandra.rb:285:in
 `reconnect!'
        from
/home/compass/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2...@rails3/gems/cassandra-0.8.2/lib/cassandra/cassandra.rb:280:in
 `client'
        from
/home/compass/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2...@rails3/gems/cassandra-0.8.2/lib/cassandra/cassandra.rb:86:in
 `keyspaces'
        from (irb):4
        from /home/compass/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p0/bin/irb:16:in `<main>'

about the cassandra-cli, should I run the command on the server from which I'm
trying to connect?

Thanks for the help