The code for nodetool appears to just pass the host value through to the
NodeProbe. Was there anything else in the stack trace ?

If you use the host name of the machine rather than ip what happens?

cassandra-env.sh includes a link to this page about getting JMX running with
firewalls
http://blogs.sun.com/jmxetc/entry/troubleshooting_connection_problems_in_jconsole

Perhaps the info on  java.rmi.server.hostname may be helpful

Hope that helps.
Aaron