I was unable to find example or documentation on my question.  I'd like to know
what the best way to group a cluster of cassandra nodes behind a virtual ip.

For example, can cassandra nodes be placed behind a Citrix Netscaler hardware
load balancer?

I can't imagine it being a problem, but in doing so would you break any
cassandra functionality?

The goal is to have the application talk to a single virtual ip  and be
directed to a random node in the cluster.

I heard a little about adding the node addresses to Hector's load-balancing
mechanism, but this doesn't seem too robust or easy to maintain.

Thanks in advance.