Roshan, the first 64 bits does contain the version. The method
UUID.timestamp() indeed takes it out before returning. You are right in that
point. I based my comment on the UUID spec.

What I am not convinced is that the framework should provide support to
create an almost identical UUID where only the timestamp is the same
(between the two UUIDs).

UUID.equals() and UUID.compareTo() does compare the whole bit set to say
that two objects are the same. It does compare the first 64 bits to avoid
comparing the rest in case the most significant bits already show a
difference.

But coming to your point, should Hector provide that kind of support or do
you feel that the problem you have is specific to your application ?

I feel like UUID is as it says an Unique Identifier and creating a sort-of
UUID based on a previous timestamp disregarding the least significant bits
is not the right support Hector should expose.

Thoughts?

--
Patricio.-