Unfortunately there are changes to the inter-node protocol which which make it impossible to run a mixed cluster.

The TTL feature is one of the things that mean you also have to upgrade the client. The Columns returned and accepted by Cassandra will now expect to have a TTL field.

AFAIK in theory Thrift is designed to handle these sorts of changes, but I do not know if thats how things have turned out in the real world. If you want to test a 0.6 client against a 0.7 server, first disable the thrift_framed_transport_size_in_mb setting as 0.6 did not use framed transport http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/StorageConfiguration?highlight=(framed)

Let me know if you can working. Obviously it should be a temporary solution and others will have a better understanding of the implications of running a 0.6 client against 0.7

Hope that helps.
Aaron