It doesn't write anything to the coordinator node, it just forwards it to
nodes in the replica set for that row key.

write goes to some node (coordinator, i.e. whatever node you connected to).
coordinator looks at key, determines which nodes are responsible for it.
in parallel it forwards the requests to those nodes (in the case it is in
the replica set for that key, it will write it locally in parallel with the
writes that were forwarded).
the coordinator waits until it has the appropriate number of responses to
meet your consistency level from the nodes in the replica set for the key
(possibly including itself).
the coordinator determines the correct value to send to the client based on
the responses it receives and then sends it.