Assuming you aren't changing the RC, the normal bootstrap process takes care
of all the problems like that, making sure things work correctly.

Most importantly, if something fails (either the new node or any of the
existing nodes) you can recover from it.

Just don't connect clients directly to that new node until it's fully in the
ring.