thanks Dave. So general purpose mechanism would be use RDBMS for data that
requires locking semantics or use something like "Cages" on top of Cassandra
and then use Cassandra for data mining/high throughput read queries and
writable data that does not require transactions?

Are there any sample applications or open source projects that use Cassandra
and involve some application of transactions? I cannot imagine a fully
functional enterprise application not involving transactions...

Sorry about the long messages but I am trying to learn on how to decide on
design..

Thanks,
Ritesh