To some extent, the boot-strapping problem will be an issue with most
solutions: the data has to be duplicated from somewhere. Bootstrapping
should not cause much performance degradation unless you are already pushing
capacity limits. It's the decommissioning problem which makes Cassandra
somewhat problematic in your case. You grow your cluster x5 then write to
it. You have to perform a proper decommission when shrinking the cluster
again which involves validating and streaming data to the remaining
replicas: a fairly serious operation with TBs of data. For most realistic
situations, unless the cluster is completely read-only, you cant just kill
most of the nodes in the cluster.

I cant really think of a good, general, way to do this with just Cassandra
although there may be some hacktastical possibilities. I think a more
statically sized Cassandra cluster then a variable cache layer (memcached or
similar) is probably a better solution. This option kind of falls apart at
the terabytes of data range.

Have you considered using S3, Amazon cloud front or some other CDN instead
of rolling your own solution? For immutable data, its what they excel at.
Cassandra has amazing write capacity and its design focus is on scaling
writes. I would not really consider it a good tool for the job of serving
massive amounts of static content.

Dan