Now that I've made the JMX_PORT change cassandra will attempt to run.
(Dumb me, I didn't need to ask - the answer about changing JMX_PORT was
already in the archives.  I'm getting with it now, so I know to look there
first.  Just finding my way around cassandra....)

Made the change:

JMX_PORT="8080
JMX_PORT="9980"
in cassandra-env.sh

Then ran
sudo ./bin/cassandra -f -p pidfile
threw a Fatal configuration error:

org.apache.cassandra.config.ConfigurationException:
localhost/10.0.1.3:7000is in use by another process.  Change
listen_address:storage_port in
cassandra.yaml to values that do not conflict with other services

In cassandra.yaml the line causing the problem is

listen_address: localhost

Problem is, I have no idea what to change it to ???
Maybe localhost:8000?
And in addition, do I then need to make other changes?

  - Bob Futrelle
    Northeastern University
    CCIS