The CF Stats are reporting you have 70GB total space taken up by SSTables, of
which 55GB is live. The rest is available for deletion, AFAIK this happens when
cassandra detects free space is running low. I've never dug into how/when this
happens though.

With that amount of data it seems odd to fill a  300GB space during repair or
compaction. Some thoughts:

- What version are you using ? There were issues in early 0.7 that resulted in
a lot of temp files been left around.
- Take a look on disk. In the commit log directory are there a lot of files
hanging around? In the data directory for your keyspace do you have any
snapshots ? Is there anything in the saved caches directory?
- When you've ran out of space what did the data directory look like ? How did
you fix the issue?

Aaron