Jonathon, thank you for your answers here.

 To explain this bit ...

On 11 March 2011 20:46, Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 6:06 AM, Jedd Rashbrooke <j...@visualdna.com> wrote:
>>  Copying a cluster between AWS DC's:
>>  We have ~ 150-250GB per node, with a Replication Factor of 4.
>>  I ack that 0.6 -> 0.7 is necessarily STW, so in an attempt to
>>  minimise that outage period I was wondering if it's possible to
>>  drain & stop the cluster, then copy over only the 1st, 5th, 9th,
>>  and 13th nodes' worth of data (which should be a full copy of
>>  all our actual data - we are nicely partitioned, despite the
>>  disparity in GB per node) and have Cassandra re-populate the
>>  new destination 16 nodes from those four data sets.  If this is
>>  feasible, is it likely to be more expensive (in terms of time the
>>  new cluster is unresponsive as it rebuilds) than just copying
>>  across all 16 sets of data - about 2.7TB.
>
> I'm confused.  You're trying to upgrade and add a DC at the same time?

 Yeah, I know, it's probably not the sanest route - but the hardware
 (virtualised, Amazonish EC2 that it is) will be the same between
 the two sites, so that reduces some of the usual roll in / roll out
 migration risk.

 But more importantly for us it would mean we'd have just the
 one major outage, rather than two (relocation and 0.6 -> 0.7)

 cheers,
 Jedd.